Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Mittenfest V Pictures

Ah Mittenfest! Exhauster of the Mighty, Entertainer of the Many and Raiser of the Funds. This year's Michigan music extravaganza raised $15,000 for 826 Michigan, non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write.

This year I only went one night. Don't feel sorry for my old, sick carcass, though, as I did see Matt Jones & the Reconstruction, The Sights, Jesse Shepherd-Bates, The Juliets, Charles Trees, Fields of Industry and This is Deer Country in one night. I tested out my new video camera and captured the historic cover of "Born to Run" by Matt Jones and the Reconstruction. I learned a valuable lesson about small, cheap microphones and proximity. Also, be sure to watch it in HD. I didn't beg for this camera for nothing!





Lifetime Metro-Detroiter that I am, I've never seen The Sights live. Figures I would see them play in Ypsilanti. But still. Their energy blew me away. The Juliets' drummer is badass. Also, a fun surprise was Jesse Shepherd-Bates' set. The Satin Peaches were supposed to play, but not all of them could be there, so what we got was a unique JSB set that was full of rocking. Another surprise for me was This is Deer Country. I've seen them before, and I'm a fan, but what I saw that night was otherworldly. Those guys have EVOLVED. Kate's voice has matured and she's been working on her technique. Plus with a full band they just shine. I highly recommend their new album What Wandering Heart. Seriously, it's beautiful and VERY well-produced.

Now, pictures.

This is Deer Country





Fields of Industry



Charles Trees





The Juliets













Jesse Shepherd-Bates





The Sights











Matt Jones and the Reconstruction







1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked the set! Hope you don't mind if I borrow your pics for the Jesse and The Gnome facebook . . . we have a ton of shows coming up, hope to see you soon (and this time we won't have to learn our set in the kitchen an hour before playing . . .)

    -Jesse Shepherd-Bates

    ReplyDelete