Saturday, May 29, 2010

Synesthesia, shame and other things I probably don't have

Tonight, Five Three Dial Tone Records celebrates the release of their latest release, "Carbonics" by Human Reunion. I'll be there, so you should be, too.

Before I get to the show review, look at me on Youtube! This is the beginning of a series of behind the scenes library videos called "In the Stacks".




Why is it that when I'm taking pictures of a band, I have less of a sense of how they sound? Thankfully, for me, I stopped snapping part way through both Pewter Cub and Rogue Satellites' sets to enjoy them. Pewter Cub's set was really good last night, all moody and cool. If you know me, you know that it takes a hell of a female vocalist to impress me, so when I say that I loved Regan Lorie's dark, haunting voice, you know that's saying something. Scott Sanford's bass and guitar playing are impressive; his fingers fly over the bass just as quickly as on the guitar. Dave Jennings on drums smashes out the heartbeat of their powerful songs. Look for their record soon, after what I heard last night, it's sure to be great.

Rogue Satellites were celebrating the release of their record Fallacy Island last night. I hadn't seen them in over a year, so it was really cool to see how they've changed since then. They are totally dancable, and fun. Combining electro beats with the unstoppable force that is Scott Stone's drumming gives their songs the feel of racing train that you don't want to get off of. Jaye Thomas' vocals are sweet in their delivery, belying the darker nature of some of the lyrics ("Imaginary Animals"). I love this kind of thing. Regan Lorie is also a Satellite, and her keys and backup vocals really polish the band's sound. Their record, recorded and mixed by Jim Diamond is out now. I'm listening to it right now, and I'm really digging it!

Highlight of the night: when Pewter Cub's Scott and Dave joined Rogue Satellites on stage to become Rogue Cubs and Pewter Satellites for a few songs.

Sadly, I only heard a few of Fur's songs because I'm an old lady and needed to get home to bed. They sounded really tight. I will have to see them again.

Pewter Cub












Rogue Satellites










No comments:

Post a Comment