Sunday, March 7, 2010

Blowout Recap: Saturday

Ah yes. That old familiar feeling. Exhausted, headachey, and totally over Blowout...till next year.

Highlights

*Lightning Love covering Wheetus' "Teenage Dirtbag". Though this would have been a bigger highlight if I had actually got video of it, like I thought I was. Oh well, it would have been ruined by me singing along anyway.

*Looking behind me during SOYSV's set and seeing tons of people.

*Child Bite describing Secret Twins as "50% beautiful and 50% handsome".

*The confetti, streamers and craziness of Millions of Brazilians. Oh yeah and being on stage.

*Talking to no less than 6 "library people"! We're hip people, I swear!

Saturday was my night to hang out and see what The Gates of Columbus (complex?) had to offer. I caught some of Secret Twins' set. I really like them. Dina can really sing! And they always sound bigger than their two members.

Next was Sisters of Your Sunshine Vapor. The room really filled up for their excellent psychedelic set. There were four or five cameras turned on them at all times. That may have a little to do with the fact that they were the only band I saw that has an old style oil and food coloring light show. I'm really pleased that people like these guys. It's not for nothing; they rock.

After this, I saw Child Bite. They never fail in the energy department. This time, someone came tromping through the audience with a parachute that everyone grabbed an edge of and began flapping it in the air. It was like gym class. Child Bite has survived the loss/replacement of two members, and while I'll miss those guys, I like that the band still exists.

Lightning Love gets so much deserved good press that I would not be surprised if they got a national record deal out of it. They win for having songs you can sing along to almost immediately, and for knowing that a cover of "Teenage Dirtbag" is not too dorky and is the absolute perfect way to end a set.

After that, shmoozing occurred. I was aware that The Cold Wave and Silverghost were playing, but I was kind of basking in the glory of finding a whole group of library folks hanging out at The Gates of Columbus.

Then it was Millions of Brazilians. I'd really only ever seen them about an eighth of a time, because of broken instruments. This set was basically the opposite of that one. Big stage, big sound, HUGE audience. I managed to get right up front, which is why my earplugs appear to have failed. This set was just a blast. Confetti, some guy with a huge streamer dispenser, leaf blowers and rock. Nick is a hell of a front man and it didn't take much for half the audience to want to join him. Unfortunately it was during this set that a female friend of mine got punched in the face by a dude. I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone that this is not cool.

So, that's it! Enjoy the photos below!

Secret Twins







Sisters of Your Sunshine Vapor































Child Bite





Lightning Love









Millions of Brazilians
































No comments:

Post a Comment