Monday, August 24, 2009

August 24, 2009: Not from Around Here

So, believe it or not, I listen to music that is not local sometimes. Don't everyone rush to cut off my head yet. You can check a few of these out at the library now, and some of them I will be doing my very best to add to the collection ASAP.




Imogen Heap - Ellipse


I've been listening to this online and I love it. It's officially released tomorrow, and I would recommend adding it to your mp3 player or CD collection. Heap's ethereal voice, helped out by her atmospheric arrangements seeps into you brain. The first track "First Train Home," fills me with this odd sense of wistfulness that keeps me hitting replay to try to discover why. As soon as I get the chance, I'll be ordering this one for the library's collection.



Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix



CD-1554


I'm sure everyone that I talk to for more than five minutes knows that I've gone completely nuts for this album. Its opening track, "Lisztomania" kind of makes me crazy in my head. If I'm anywhere where there's at least three feet of space, I'm on my feet dancing. Beautifully layered pop music complete with sing-a-long hooks and shiny guitars are present throughout, with a few moodier tracks in the middle.




Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest



CD-1547


At least some of these tracks remind me of the band America, and in a good way. This beautifully produced album needs to be enjoyed on a good stereo or through a good pair of headphones. There's a lot going on here, and you don't want to miss any of it, especially the gorgeous harmonies which I've heard they perform equally well live.




Brendan Benson - My Old Familiar Friend


Here's another one I'll be getting for the library as soon as possible. Marvelously well-written lyrics, high production values and genre-hopping pop make this a great listen all the way through...again and again. My favorite track is "Garbage Day," a melancholy little tune that has the sweeping orchestral arrangements of a 60s motown song.

What to See this Week


Thursday 8/27/09 - Smith Westerns - Johnny Ill Band - Pizazz @Belmont (Hamtramck)
Friday 8/28/09 - The Von Bondies - 800beloved - The Juliets @Magic Stick (Detroit)
Saturday 8/29/09 - Child Bite - DD/MM/YYYY - Prussia - Lightning Love @Lager House (Detroit)

No comments:

Post a Comment