Monday, June 22, 2009

June 23, 2009: Odds and Ends + Moondagger

First of all, I want to thank John and The Loving Touch for making the MI Music and Merch Swap happen. I talked to a ton of people, gave out a bunch of buttons, and scored over a dozen CDs for the Local Music Collection. Thank you generous bands and labels for your donations. The new CDs should be in the collection in the next couple of weeks!

There also seems to be a fair amount of interest in library shows. We do have a small (40-50 people capacity) and a 80-watt, 4 line PA system that worked quite well for the bands during our open house. There are still some logistical and staff related things to work out , but I am really eager for this to happen, so keep checking back here for news regarding being loud in the library! Of course, if you are interested in playing a show at the library, please drop me a line: k.d.bennett79@gmail.com

It's no secret that I love Deastro. I know, me and like everyone else on the planet. I'm edgy like that. There's just something about the band and it's front-man, Randy Chabot that make you want to declare your love, especially to people who've never heard the shimmering synth landscapes they create. Actually, it's not just "something". It's Randy's good nature and special view of the world. It makes you want to help him out and spread the gospel.

Moondagger is Deastro's first studio-recorded full-length release. People have been waiting for this thing for awhile, and it's worth it. The addition of a full band (Deastro began as a one-man band which I will admit was astonishing to see. There's nothing as great as seeing Chabot play a drum kit, sing and control his pre-recorded tracks while trying to keep his glasses on his face), fills out the sound and takes the music beyond just synth pop.

One of the most interesting things about this album for me on a personal level is that it makes me feel nostalgic. Yes, there's the recollection of seeing these songs performed live but I don't think that's what's happening. There's a twinge of melancholia in these tracks, a longing for things to be more innocent that strikes a chord with me. I think it also makes me think of a time when I held stronger beliefs about the way that the world should work, something that, thankfully, it seems Chabot still does.

Speaking of which, the reason that "Toxic Crusaders" is my favorite track is this line: "Even the darkest sin has the taste of regret/We can't be all that bad if we wish we were different". Gives me chills almost every time I hear it, because it's just so damn hopeful, but not in a silly Pollyanna way. A close second is "Greens, Grays and Nordics" a fast-moving track that makes you want to jump around with a hundred of your closest friends. Another of my favorite lyrics "I got a boombox playing backwards hallelujahs" gives me such a fantastic mental image that I can't help but smile.

The album hangs together very well, with a unifying sound around which Deastro explores themes and variations. Chabot's voice, while slightly downplayed (my only complaint) is always spot on whether it be in his surprisingly low range or almost child-like higher register. The upbeat, electronic (at times bringing to mind 90s video game themes) sound will bring you to this album, but it's the layers of sound, fanciful imagery and deeper themes that will keep you coming back.

You can find Moondagger in the Library's collection under CD-1528.

Do yourself a favor and see Deastro live. Bring your dancing shoes.

June 30 2009 with Black Moth Super Rainbow and Sik Sik Nation @The Magic Stick (Detroit)

July 3 2009 @City Fest 8:30P



What to see this week

Tuesday 6/23/09 -- Ty Segall (Goner Records) -- The Frustrations -- Johnny Ill Band -- The Moonhearts @The Lager House


Wednesday 6/24/09 -- SikSik Nation -- Ha Ha Tonka -- Via Audio @Smalls (Hamtramck)



Wednesday 6/24/09 -- The Decks -- The Valley Ghosts -- God and the Architects -- Goodnight House @The Blind Pig (Ann Arbor)



Friday 6/26/09 -- Blasé Splee -- Old Empire -- The Wednesdees @Belmont (Hamtramck)



Friday 6/26/09 -- JSB Squad -- Satin Peaches -- The Lovehandlers @The Lager House (Detroit)



Friday 6/26/09 -- The Sea and Cake -- Childbite @The Blind Pig (Ann Arbor)



Saturday 6/27/09 -- The Gories -- The Oblivians @Majestic (Detroit)


No comments:

Post a Comment