Monday, February 2, 2009

Inaugural Post: Notes & Great Lakes Myth Society

Welcome to the 780s! General music is cataloged in the 780s in the Dewey Decimel System. The ".00" is silent. Let me introduce myself. I'm Kelly, and I've been working at the Ferndale Public Library off and on (mostly on) for about ten years. If you frequent the library, I'm the one with the red hair. I've recently started developing a collection of local music CDs for library patrons to check out. That project as well as this blog have grown from my ever-increasing love of Michigan music. I just had to find a way to make my weekdays and weekends connect.

This blog will be updated at least once a week, probably on Mondays. I'll be highlighting one CD from the library's local music collection per entry. I wouldn't go so far as to call these reviews, just a blog version of what I might do at the circulation desk. I will also endeavor to recommend some live shows for the week, stuff that I know will be good, what I heard will be good, or things that just look interesting.

Some notes before I jump into my inaugural entry (eek!). First, I'm not an expert on this stuff. I just want to get the word out about the amazing music being produced around me. If one person checks out a CD I recommend or goes to a show because of this blog, then I'll be happy. Second, I'll be linking to a lot of things on this blog. Not all of them are going to be suitable for children. I will do my best to keep this space suitable for all ages, but be warned that not every blogger works for a public library! Third, if you have a local band or love a local band please do not hesitate to leave me a comment or email me with your recommendation. I'm always looking to expand the collection. Finally, we are always willing to take your local music donations, so feel free to drop by with them or mail them to us at:

222 E. Nine Mile Road

Ferndale, MI 48220.


Well, that's enough of that. On to the first CD!


It feels fitting to start at the beginning. Well, the beginning for me at least. I first saw Great Lakes Myth Society at the Magic Stick's annual Zombie Dance Party in 2006. It was just something for me and my roommate to do for Halloween; get dressed up, see some bands and have some fun. I had no idea that it would change me into the kind of person who would drive up to Houghton for a weekend of local music.
Back then, GLMS only had one album, their self-titled 2005 release. I left the Zombie Dance Party with several of their songs lingering in my head, a phenomenon I had rarely experienced after seeing a band for the first time. "Across the Bridge," which seems to be everyone's favorite GLMS song made an instant impression and I went home able to sing the chorus and the oft-screamed lines "Hiawatha/Escanaba". Before I went to bed that night, I had downloaded Great Lakes Myth Society from iTunes, and the love affair with this album began.
There is a lot of texture on "Great Lakes Myth Society". Voices overlapping, storms raging, and a myriad of instruments. I would recommend listening to it on headphones at least once, so you can pick out the song fragments in "Lake Effect," and hear all of the parts in their famous harmonies.
Another thing I love about this album is its connection to time and place. You can just taste cheap beer and feel the cold snow on your face when you hear "Isabella County, 1992"; feel a pang of fear as you hear a roaring Michigan thunderstorm in "Buffalo Nickel"; and picture the geography of the Great Lakes area, believing it could have been Big Jim Hawkins and Paul Bunyan who stomped, fought and spit the place into existence.
Frankly, the best thing about Great Lakes Myth Society the band is seeing them live. Which you should do. As often as you can. I will not embarrass myself by stating how many times I've done just that, but let's just say I know what I'm talking about when I say you will have a good time. After they impress you, make you laugh and make you raise your glass during "Heydays", go up to one of the guys and tell them you enjoyed the show. They'll be glad to meet you, and the next time you see them, you might just get a handshake or a clink of your PBR.


Great Lakes Myth Society can be found at the Ferndale Public Library in our CD section under the call number CD-1318. Go to the library's online catalog to search for this and all of our local CDs.

More info about Tim, Jamie, Greg, Scott and Fido can be found at http://www.greatlakesmythsociety.com/


The only confirmed local date I have for GLMS is Friday, March 6th at the Atlas during the Metro Times Blowout. It's sure to be a blast!

What You Should See This Week


Monday 2/2/09Rest up, it's going to be a long week.


Tuesday 2/3/09 -- Pike Room (Pontiac) -- Gil Mantera's Party Dream -- Carjack -- Champions of Breakfast
If you like to dance, you'll like this show. Carjack and his army of robots will grab you and MAKE you move. Champions of Breakfast, well you have to see and hear (together) to believe. Watch out for over-sized fake guitars and their brain-burrowing earworm of a version of "We Built This City".


Wednesday 2/4/09 Be ready, you have at least two shows to choose from for the rest of the week! Thursday is the new Friday!


Thursday 2/5/09 --The Lager House (Detroit) -- The Frustrations -- The Mahonies --FREE SHOW
This is a free show promoting "Shiftless Decay: New Sounds of Detroit" compilations coming out on X! Records. Come out and see this if you like punk. And I mean punk, not emo, not melodic.


Thursday 2/5/09 -- The Blind Pig (Ann Arbor) -- CETAN CLAWSON REVOLUTION -- SIK SIK NATON -- TONE & NICHE --TOKYO SEXWHALE
Sik Sik Nation brings the psychadelic rock, complete with one of those overhead projectors and a plate of colored water and oil.


Friday 2/6/09 -- Corktown Tavern (Detroit) -- Zoos of Berlin -- The Antivillains -- Wildcatting
Wildcatting's chugging guitars and Zoos' atmospheric pop go together quite well.


Friday 2/6/09 -- MOCAD (Detroit) -- THE Necks, with special guests: Pink Eye


Saturday 2/7/09 -- The Lager House (Detroit) -- EatThisCity Presents: Unplugged Detroit II w/ The Hard Lessons, Friendly Foes, Mick Bassett, Deastro, & Carjack
I'm listing this one as the go-to show on Saturday, not just out of loyalty but because this promises to be spectacular. The chance to see all of these guys do acoustic sets is impossible to pass up. What will acoustic Carjack even be like?!


Saturday 2/7/09 -- The Elbow Room (Ypsilanti) -- Matt Jones -- The High Strung -- Jim Roll
Well, I've got some serious thinking to do. Matt Jones' CD has been a long time coming, but that Detroit show up there is sure to be a blast...Why hasn't the transporter been invented yet?


Saturday 2/7/09 -- The Magic Stick (Detroit) Jim Shaw Benefit - The Go -- Gardens -- Human Eye -- Greg Cartwright -- Tyvek --Dan Kroha +more
This is a benefit for Jim Shaw who has been diagnosed with cancer. There will also be an art auction.

Well that's it for this week! Leave me nice comments!
Kelly



4 comments:

  1. Wow!...First off, fabulous intro Kelly...great flow! I want to taste the cheap beer! Not only do you give readers/music lovers a TON of options, but real experience to offer a taste as well! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Kelly! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the loyalty talking.

    Nice work, kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Awesome! Great info and very nice initial entry...

    ReplyDelete